1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Zonealarm Free and Outlook Express

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Tom Seeley, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tom Seeley

Tom Seeley Thread Starter

I just installed Zonealarm Free, after finally deep sixing all of Norton Systemworks 2004 except Norton Password Manager. Yeaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!! :D

I use MS Outlook Express as my e-mail "reader" since I have multiple business e-mail addresses at hotmail, and OE simplifies the task of collecting all my new mail in one step. I really, really do NOT want to change either the e-mail addresses or using OE to read them!

But now, when I start OE, ZA gives me an internet warning for a program called msmsgs.exe. It says that program is trying to access the internet, and then a second warning, that it's trying to act as a server.

I've "allow"ed that both times it's happened. Is that the right thing to do?

I really don't want to screw up OE by "deny"ing it, but if that's all right, my inclination in general is to prevent most internet contacts...:confused:

Thx

Tom

2. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

that's the right thing to do. also go into ZA program control & right click to allow. should stop the popups :)

3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

msnmsgr is Windows Messenger and you really don't need it or want it running.

In OE, Tools > Options > General Tab UNselect Automatically Logon to Windows Messenger is set.

And then Shoot the Messenger

Note that this is NOT MS Messenger.

4. RastaManPower

RastaManPower

isnt there a new version of za???

5. moranacus

moranacus

You'd better be careful! The lastest updates of Zone Alarm have caused alot of problems.
    I use to use Zone Alarm but have stopped because of this. Please visit the Zone Alarm forum to see what I mean.

6. RastaManPower

RastaManPower

what you using now

7. Tom Seeley

Tom Seeley Thread Starter

I'm running ZA 6.1 744.001. I saw recent msgs saying that v6.5 had problems, and I should stick with 6.1.xxx, so that's what I did.

So far, in the less than 24 hours I've used it, it hasn't caused me problems I can detect, but what do I know!?

8. moranacus

moranacus

Keep using that version!!!! If you try to update to a higher version then your going to run into problems!!!! The problems will very depending on your computer but you will get them!!! There is no relief insite either for us once loyal Zone Alarm customers who paid for the updates.

9. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

i'm using 6.5.731.000 & have no probs with it whatsover <knocks on wood!> :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486845

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice