1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

zonealarm overkill

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by asulca593, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. asulca593

asulca593 Thread Starter

After downloading ZoneAlarm (not pro) about a week ago, I have had nearly 2000 (yes, 2000) attempts at my system. Is this normal? Are this many people really trying to get a hold of my system? Or is it just blocking a lot of harmless stuff?

2. Cookies

Cookies

It largely depends where you're looking, and upon your ZA configuration settings.

Under the Alerts & Logs tab, sort the Rating colum by clicking on the rating. When you see High, check the Source IP, Destination IP, Direction and Action Taken.

You can also R click the program or application, L click More Information for addition instruction.

3. hewee

hewee

Post what type of attempts your talking about.
    Are they coming in or going out?

I hope they are only trying to come in and are pings because then your safe.
    Getting a router will cut down on 99% of the hits you get on your firewall.

4. mobo

mobo

Your Isp is probably responsible for 75% or more of those so there isn't cause to panic just yet..

5. hewee

hewee

Yea mobo with comcast cable last summer in July I think it was everyonr started getting pings like crazy. Like every 15 seconds and they were all from others on comcast. Everyone postd at comcast forum to find out why but they would never reply. So after it went on a couple months I got a router and that put a stop to it.
    It was crazy getting so many pings from everyone on comcast all over the USA but mosty from about 5 States.

6. mobo

mobo

Yep, routers take care of most nuisances

7. hewee

hewee

Yep and keeps ZA pro from going crazy by stopping things at the router. ZA pro was so busy before and I had it so I did not get pop up but you could still see the blinking on the icon by the clock and it was getting to me so the router took care of the hits and makes me feel better too. :D

8. jameso321

jameso321

Even if my residential clients only have one computer I always make them buy a Router. I buy only Linksys so far but others are fine.

The NAT makes a nice barrier from the Internet and it "stealths" your home network even if you have one computer still considered a Network.

It's a great thing to have they only cost $65.00

jameso321

9. asulca593

asulca593 Thread Starter

99% of them are coming in. also, my ISP is Charter. i looked at where exactly they were coming from, and a good number of them were from cable companies, such as ComCast, Charter, and RoadRunner (Time Warner).

10. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

I have had more than usual lately too. Most from RoadRunner, which is my ISP too. I E-mailed their abuse people. They said that most of the hits are from infected users. Many don't know that they are doing this.

I would E-mail your ISP and see what they say about it.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice