1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ZoneAlarm Pro/IE/Port Forwarding conflict

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Elpiper, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elpiper

Elpiper Thread Starter

Ok here's a strange one... About a week ago my Port Forwarding simply stopped working for some unexplained reason. My IP didn't change, an internal IP scan showed my specified ports as open, but an external one (ShieldsUp!) showed them as stealthed.

I have DSL and 2 PCs connected through a Linksys NR041 Router. OS is WinXP Pro SP2 with firewall turned off. I confirmed my IP and forwarded the proper ports in my router.

I found someone on a forum who said that installing Zone Alarm fixed that particular problem for them, for some reason. I tried it and was surprised to see that my ports were now properly forwarded again - however, I was no longer able to browse with Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox!

So it's a trade-off. If I uninstall ZoneAlarm I can surf, but my ports aren't forwarded. If I re-install it, my ports can accept incoming connections but I can't surf.

When I try to access a website with ZA installed, it loads partially (mostly just some text and maybe 1 graphic) and then sits there not connecting to anything. It also freezes my File explorer, and I am unable to start a new application. Shutting off my browser then causes a major slowdown in my system, which takes about 2-3 minute to recover from.

The only clue I received was a message from Firefox stating that application *blank* did not know how to deal with the "application/octet-stream" MIME type. This problem disappears when I uninstall ZoneAlarm.

Does anyone have any idea as to what could be blocking IE and Firefox while ZoneAlarm is running? They both have all the access rights. Or for that matter, does anyone know why I could possibly need ZoneAlarm installed in order for my ports to be forwarded properly? I tried Kapersky's firewall, and it did NOT fix the Port Forwarding problem.

Thanks for any insight you can give. Feel free to ask for any further info. I'd like to be able to surf AND have my ports properly forwarded again...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274928

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice