ZoneAlarm vs. AVG setup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jelleym

I'm in the preparation process for horrific reinstallation of system due to months of sluggishness.

Is there any particular reason why some programs such as ZoneAlarm offer zlsSetup.exe programs in download-files, whereas I don't notice the same for AVG (unless avg70free_300a419.exe is a setup file)?

This inconsistency gets confusing for me, because it's messy for me to figure out whether to backup Setup/Installation files as well as Program files?

In fact, I have a suggestion which probably no geeks will pay attention to:

I wish all software would uniformly offer a new file code, such as, say, BUP (for "backup") for the sake of the non-geeky minority, so that we can have a clearcut guide to know that ONLY files with the BUP code need to be backed up upon reinstallation preparations.

For example:
File: zlsSetupBUP.exe
Folder: GrisoftBUP

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, I know it's kind of late for this, as we are past the reinstall phase and I have been giving you some help with that....but, I went through some of your old posts, this one went unanswered...so thought I would reply to it.

When you are using something like AVG, which is an antivirus, free program-

The software makers issue new builds every so often. That is why the downloaded (setup or install) files have different names and numbers. You should re-download the newer version, just before you format and reinstall and back the NEW build up, not try to find files and the original, old download file to reinstall. Things change very rapidly in antivirus world, and the added detection updates as well as program updates are important to have as current as possible. The scanning engine is one reason, it may be a whole lot imporoved in the newer build. Also> downloading the newer build to a backup medium to have to reinstall from automatically will include the latest detection updates etc up to that time, and you will not be back a year or several months as you would if you reinstall from the very old build you originally installed the program from. Your first online update to AVG would be a HUGE one, and indeed, it may just tell you to "Download a new copy" and REFUSE to let you update the old build!

Other programs do not change as much as antispyware and antivirus ones, so all the above may not pertain to something like for example> a calendar utility you use. That old download may be exactly the same as what the program is today, and will work just fine to reinstall. It's a matter of keeping current when you decide to reinstall Windows and ALL other programs (a clean install) You have to know that what you save as backups is going to work, and not cause you problems, like huge download times for just the latest updates.

People often have a favorite version of a program, take AIM (an instant messaging program) which has many versions that you can still use, they just have less features and may even work for you BETTER than a newer version. A new version is a total remake of a program, not just the basic program.
Firefox for example, has changed rapidly, but older versions will still work, it just depends on how much you keep current on, and are interested in the newer features of that type of program. But for antivirus and antispyware apps, we must reccommend that you keep up to date , and as often as new total VERSIONS come out, change by uninstalling the old, and downloading and installing the new version.
Ad-Aware SE Personal and SpyBot Search and Destroy are examples> the latest versions have been out for some time, and if you installed AdAware SE Personal Edition v. 1.06 you are current> if you saved that version's original download you can reinstall and catch up to the latest updates, but like I said, the update may be quite a long one! SpyBot is at version 1.4 so if you had that before and saved that download, you are OK> I do reccommend though that you download both of them anew, it's just much better to use the most current Build and then apply the latest detection updates, similar to AVG or any antivirus program.
The exceptions::: When you purchase something, for example Norton Internet Security Suite, and paid good money for it, you have only that to reinstall from, as you have no way to download a new or latest build without paying for a new one.

Also: You may be using something like Outlook Express and have saved items you want to keep and load back into the new program. I say new program, because it is part of Internet Explorer and comes in when you reinstall your operating system (XP) but you have to import the saved mailbox to OE and there are steps involved to do that. The main thing is you have to know exactly what files to back up, and that goes for any of that type of program. There may be settings in for example, Firefox browser in a folder location called Profile that you would like to reintroduce to the new install of Firefox, and you can, but you again have to find the right steps to do so by looking online or in the Help section of that particular program BEFORE you wipe out your hard drive. You have to save the steps, print them out or something, as well as the proper items...

Most programs have forums or support areas where they post help for what you want to do, at least most do....it can be a problem especially for you, since you cannot view the monitor for extended times etc etc...but, the help is usally there provided you can find it. We can help point you to it.

In general> you do not need to back up and import the Program Files folder for a program you had installed and are going to be installing new after the format and reinstall. You install the program brand new, and make settings changes again, however> as I said, there are some that you CAN apply your old saved settings back into. They are the minority.
You cannot reinstall from the saved Program Files folder you backed up, in almost all cases.
This folder is made new when you install from an install CD, or a download from the net you burned to a disk or save on another hard drive or partition of a hard drive.

Reinstalling everything can be a time consuming and daunting task if you are new to it, and do not prepare beforehand. From helping in your other thread, I know you have the computer monitor luminescence to deal with as well, so for you from start to finish will be a longer affair.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online