1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Zoom Modem not connecting to internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by horloff, Jan 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. horloff

horloff Thread Starter

Hello,

I recently moved to a new apartment and transferred Spectrum internet service to my new place.

I own my own modem and router. Modem is a Zoom 5345. It is a little over 2 years old.

Upon setting up modem and router, I had connection with no issues right away for the first 24 hours. But this AM, the wifi network is active but there is no internet.

The modem is on. The Power light is solid green, and the US DS light flash blue while the internet light is off. I have tried resetting the modem multiple times but it always goes back to the same light pattern.

I called Spectrum to confirm my service, and the guy confirmed that my apartment is online and he could even see my router, although he said it kept showing up as a video connection.

My apartment has 1 coaxial cable, which seems to be hardwired into the socket cover.

Any ideas on what could be the issue? Do I just need a new modem? Should I buy Spectrums router?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Sounds like there is NO internet connection just a TV type.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If THIS is the cable modem you have, it does NOT have wireless capability.

Capture.JPG
    (click image to enlarge and view)

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What's the "US DS light"? The modem, like many or all cable modems, seems to have a DS LED and a US LED. For each blinking blue means it is negotiating multiple bonded channels.

Since you've reset the modem and the blinking LEDs (if that's what you mean by "US DS light") continue indefinitely there is a problem with the modem or the connection or coax cable. I'd disconnect all coax connections and then reconnect them tightly.

Since you probably don't have access to much of the coax cable I'm not sure what to do next. Maybe look for help from the apartment management.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Terry:

Does this expanded image help you better?

Capture.JPG

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No. I didn't know it has a LAN LED, but that has no particular relevance to the current problem. A properly working cable modem will establish downstream and upstream links regardless of whether a router or other device is connected to the ethernet port.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    I am not sure what the tech meant by "tv connection" other than maybe they have put blocks on the coax outside to prevent the signal for the internet.

But if Online light is out and DS/US is blinking, it's a signal issue. They need to send a tech out.

Signed, former ISP support... ;)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1239346

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice