1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

zyxel p-660hw Question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jnbertoni, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jnbertoni

jnbertoni Thread Starter

I recently bought the zyxel p660hwt adsl+wireless to use on my hp Pavillion dv2615us Entertainment notebook pc. I completed the wizard for configuring the wireless setup but I am having problems connecting. Sometimes I can connect to the wireless network, but usually I cant. And even if I am connected to the zyxel wireless network I can't get on the internet. I think I need to do something different in the configuration process. Is the the fact that I use Vista causing the problem?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Changes that may help to increase the compatibility of Vista with older networking devices:

Disable the IP Helper service:

1. Go to Start and type in "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    2. Scroll down to the IP Helper service, right click on it and select Properties
    3. In the dropdown box that says "Automatic" or "Manual", set it to Disabled and then click on "Apply"
    4. Then click on "Stop" to stop the service from running in the current session
    5. Click OK to exit the dialog

Disable IPv6:

1. Go to Start and type in "ncpa.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    2. Right click on each network connection and select "Properties"
    3. Remove the checkmark from the box next to "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
    4. Click OK to exit the dialog

NOTE: You should do this for each network connection.

Disable the DHCP Broadcast Flag:

Link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233

1. Go to Start and type in "regedit" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}
    In this registry path, click the (GUID) subkey that corresponds to the network adapter that is connected to the network.
    3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.
    4. In the New Value #1 box, type DhcpConnDisableBcastFlagToggle, and then press ENTER.
    5. Right-click DhcpConnDisableBcastFlagToggle, and then click Modify.
    6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
    7. Close Registry Editor.

NOTE: You should do this for each and every GUID subkey.

The only program I'm aware of that currently relies on IPv6 is the new Windows Meeting Space. The first 2 changes will cause that program not to work - but will leave all of your normal (IPv4) connections unaffected. If it causes problems that you can't overcome, simply revert back to the original settings.

3. jnbertoni

jnbertoni Thread Starter

Ok. I disabled the IP helper. But when I got to the steps in disabling IPv6 I couldn't find ncpa.cpl in my search. And to disable the DHCP Broadcast flag I think I read these intructions somewhere else. Step #6 is a typo right? I need to change it to 0, not 1, ya?

4. JohnWill

Sorry, you are right. I'm using the wrong key and value, thought I fixed that! :(

ncpa.cpl works for me on both my Vista machines.

Here's the new and "improved" reset for the broadcast flag. :)

Disable the DHCP Broadcast Flag:

Link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233
    1. Go to Start and type in regedit and press Enter.
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}
    4. In this registry path, click the (GUID) subkey to be updated.
    5. If the key DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag does not exist, use the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value. In the New Value #1 box, type DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag, and then press ENTER. If the key exists, skip this step.
    6. Right-click DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag, and then click Modify.
    7. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
    8. Close Registry Editor.
    NOTE: You should do this for each and every GUID subkey.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Sorry, you are right. I'm using the wrong key and value, thought I fixed that!"

Careful! I'm not saying you're wrong, 'cause I don't know.

The Microsoft article that we often point to has DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle (notice the ENABLE). That is 1 in the article, but should be 0.

You posted here about DhcpConnDisableBcastFlagToggle (notice the DISABLE). Seems like this one should be 1?

Should I stop posting links to the article and "borrow" your instructions about DhcpConnDisableBcastFlagToggle instead?

6. JohnWill

This is another flag, which seems to more directly address the issue. Note the change to DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag, but I missed it in one of the statements, I'll go back and fix that. :)

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    And people used to complain about names that were confusing when we were restricted to eight characters! :)

So, post #4 is what I should be "borrowing"? They should do the DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle in the link plus the DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag? And if they do the link should the step 6 be corrected to 0, or is the 1 correct?

Sure am glad this will all be clear by the time I get Vista!

8. JohnWill

Nope, the zero is correct. Note that it says "force" in the description, and the 0 says not to use the broadcast flag. The key I'm using is DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag.

That whole Microsoft KB article is VERY confusing. :)

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry to keep pestering you about this, but ...

Set the "force" flag to zero. And forget about the "enable" and "disable" toggles. Correct?

10. JohnWill

That's my current take on the method. From that Microsoft page:

If the router or the non-Microsoft DHCP server does not support the DHCP BROADCAST flag, you can set the following registry entry as follows:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}

Value name: DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag
    Value type: REG_DWORD
    Value data: 0
    Note A data value of 0 disables this registry entry. You can use this registry entry to prevent Windows Vista from using the DHCP BROADCAST flag. After you set this registry entry, Windows Vista never uses the DHCP BROADCAST flag.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thank you! :) :)

12. jnbertoni

jnbertoni Thread Starter

I have the adsl/wireless zyxel p-660hw. Even though this product is 2 in 1 I only want to use the wireless. At the moment I don't have adsl. I use dialup. In order to get the wireless to work do I need adsl first? Are these two related to each other? When I try to configure my computer for the wireless connection it always says there is a problem wit my dsl line. Can I do one without the other? Sorry I don't know anything about computers. Thanks in advance!

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You should be able to use the wireless. Try to connect first with encryption disabled. If successful then enable encryption and try again.

Obviously you will not have internet access. What kind of network are you setting up?

If still having problems connecting via wireless please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

14. jnbertoni

jnbertoni Thread Starter

Stupid question-how do I connect first with encryption disabled.

15. JohnWill

Disable encryption in the wireless configuration section of the router using it's web based setup. The address of the web based setup is the default gateway address from the above IPCONFIG.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647630

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice